Friday 18 January 2013

Oh Baby it's cold outside

So most of the UK has a severe weather warning due to the cold and expected snow.  Perfect to huddle up inside with a cup of cocoa you think.

That's not what we think - perfect for a paddle.  The start of training has been delayed by Sarah being ill but now we are off.  Tuesday and Thursday of this week have been spent at Shadwell Basin Outdoor Activity Centre (the home of our canoe club - an old shipping basin off the Thames) going round and round in circles in a 16ft Old Town Discovery.  This is a bathtub of a boat but our racing boat is being collected on Saturday.


Even in the Disco we have managed 20 circuits on both nights.  We weren't sure how far this was and expected it to be around 5 miles.  It was measured on Wednesday and our circuit is 0.35 of a mile so our 20 laps (taking around 2 hours with quarter of an hour at each end to heft the boat a couple of hundred meters to the water!) is actually 7 miles.  We are pretty pleased with that.  Our fellow paddler Owen followed us round with a camera and lurked round corners trying to get shots of our paddling.  He was not helped by the fact that it was VERY dark.

Hopefully when the new boat comes, after some adjustment to its individuality we'll be going significantly further although as the cold sets in I think that it may be accompanied with a flask of something hot.




We have some cold issues to overcome - Esther gets very cold feet  - she has been told not to dangle them in the water.  Sarah hates wearing gloves when paddling and, as expected, finishes the night with no feeling in her hands to the point that unlocking the building where the showers are is an issue - I'm sure we'll work it out.

As the cold sets in we'll still be out there - breaking the ice if we have to  - do you paddle in extreme cold - if so we'd love to hear your tips for staying toasty!

5 comments:

  1. Hello Sarah and Esther! My name is Karla Ramsay and my husband and I were in the race last year, our first. We paddled in lots of cold weather in preparation for the race and thought I'd share some thoughts on cold weather paddling. The wind blew alot in Alberta and so the cold seemed to get through alot, but having windbreak clothing was key. And gloves were a hassle for me too I don't like them either - but even the thinest pair will make a huge difference. My issue was my face - and I wear glasses so balaclavas really annoy me. But on cold days, I'd leave my glasses ashore and wear the face coverage. I found I had to use a really thin balaclava made of polypropolene because a wool or arcrylic one was too too warm. With time, my face did get tougher (hence more wrinkles sadly!) but I was able to stay out longer. Love your blog - and if we can help in anyway with questions about YRQ -fire away! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah should try open palmed neoprene mittens - keep your hands warm but you still have contact with the paddle shaft.

    Something like these http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2013-palm-talon-2mm-open-palm-mitts-black-na835-p-7123.html?source=googleshopping&gclid=CPCOsb_d_LQCFcbLtAodbDgApA

    Fran Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, we have done first aid at the YRQ two years and paddled the YRQ two years, I use bike gloves with padding in the palms and fingers, works for me. The palms can take a major beating, I do think you should cover them. Have a look at the YRQ photos 2012 to see what it is like if you don't wear gloves. Now, that said, if you find in your practices that you don't need them, then that works for you. We train in the boat with exactly the stuff we will use on the YRQ paddle, this way we know in advance what will chaff or protect from blisters. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally wear sun gloves for paddling to protect the back of my hands and they have good padding on the palms - a days paddling without and I get serious callouses (not nice in a job that requires lots of meeting and handshaking. I think the mittens will be great whilst we are paddling in slightly sub zero temperatures with a pair in reserve for the cold patches on the Yukon and then nack to my trusty fingerless efforts for the warmer parts of the day. I guarantee that I will have an industrial size tube of cocoa butter waiting for me at the end or perhaps I can get a jar of mums bees heavy duty hand cream

    ReplyDelete
  5. if I add propolis to handcream - for additional healing & antiseptic qualities - will you be wearing anything you don't want stained yellow?
    XX

    ReplyDelete